I couldn’t resist peeling the potatoes outside yesterday. It takes a few minutes which are much better spent sitting on the back door steps under the bird nest, watching Ilian balance bike than standing over the sink 🙂
We needed them for our rather unhealthy dinner last night: hash browns! With leftover shredded red beets, they turned out to be a glowing copper that fit fantastically with smoked paprika replacing the traditional pepper.
Ilian was happy to write tomorrow’s shopping list and ate about twice as much apple sauce as hash browns 😉
Oh, and “our” baby birds are hungry and growing 🙂
Right now, the idea that birds are dinosaurs looks quite real!
Red Beet Potato Hash Browns
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 red beets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 TBsp canola oil
- apple sauce
- Shred the beets and potatoes.
- Wash and drain the potato shreds in cold water repeatedly, until the water remains clear. Press as much water as possible out of the shreds, e.g. by placing them in a thin kitchen towel and twisting the towel.
- Mix shredded potatoes and beets, add spices and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Place heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mix into the pan, flatten with spoon, and fry for about 3 minutes. Turn over with spatula(s), fry on other side for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel and place another paper towel in top to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with apple sauce and enjoy!