Helllooo waffle afficionadas/os!
We tried a new aquafaba waffle creation last night and it turned out fabulous. We may need to tweak the recipe a bit, as our waffle iron took twice as long as usual to get dinner ready, but the golden hues over dark green were irresistible 🙂
It took a while to get the zucchinis shredded and de-watered, and then everything was smooth sailing from there: Ilian was mixing and stirring all by himself, leaving mom to tend to the hot iron.
The result was a tasty, crispy-on-the-outside belgian dinner waffle with all the comfort of belly-filling waffles and without any sugar. Double win!
Enjoy the weekend!
GF Zucchini Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about one large zucchini)
- 2 TBsp shredded red onion (optional)
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 2 TBsp aquafaba
- 2 tsp ground flaxmeal, soaked in 2 TBsp water
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- Place shredded zucchini onto kitchen towel and press firmly (or wring the cloth out), until as much water as possible has been extracted. Set aside 2 TBsp.
- In a large bowl, mix flours, spices, aquafaba, soaked flaxmeal, and rice milk until a thick batter forms.
- Add shredded zucchini (except the reserved 2 TBsp) and onions to the batter and stir until evenly mixed.
- Let batter rest while waffle iron heats up. Then spoon a third of the batter into the middle of the iron and bake. If waffle is not baked through, bake longer in increments of one minute, checking after each minute whether waffle is done. This will depend on your waffle iron.
- Sprinkle waffle with reserved zucchini shreds and serve. Enjoy!