We had a family-cooking session on Sunday, and it was so much fun!
Ilian was excited to scoop squash seeds with daddy, all manly-ly over the trashcan 😉
And mommy wondered where all the work went 🙂
This is a cute little variation on the Three Sisters cooking I’ve done previously, so it’s a naturally vegan and top-8-allergen-free dish.
Butternut Squash and chickpeas accompanied the corn this time. The shredded squash was mixed with carrots for added sweetness and red beets for added color (they took over completely!). I chose chickpeas as our legume mainly because I have some aquafaba plans, but it fit very nicely – they are way less mushy than other canned beans and complement the textures of corn and shredded veggies.
On another note: It’s almost planting season here, so if you have a little spot outside, or room for a planter box on the balcony, get some seeds and planting supplies! I found last year that leafy greens grow exceptionally well even in little soil 🙂
Have a fun week!
Shredded Butternut Squash Three Sisters
- 2 15oz cans chickpeas (save the aquafaba 🙂 ), drained and rinsed
- 2 red beets
- 5 medium carrots
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 3 corn cobs
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 TBsp canola oil
- Peel and shred the beets, carrots, and squash.
- In a large pan, heat oil on medium high. Add shredded veggies, chickpeas, and spices. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until veggies are tender enough for your taste.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring enough water to cover the corn cobs to a boil. Boil corn for 7 minutes.
- Plate a generous amount of veggies and top with a steaming corn cob. Enjoy!