Ilian passed his coconut food challenge!!! Yay!!!
We have been waiting for a long time for him to start outgrowing food allergies, and although it looks like some are here to stay for a few more years, coconut is now on the menu!
I love everything about it – the perfumed taste, summery smell, crunchy-creamy texture, and the smooth color. It reminds me of travelling to Costa Rica and drinking coconut water straight from the unpeeled, green, tart-smelling coconut hacked open with a machete just enough to get a straw inside.
We bought a whole coconut the other day and managed to get it open with a meat hammer 🙂 and Ilian was fascinated. So I started thinking about incorporating coconut in a dinner visibly, i.e. not simply in the form of coconut milk – here’s both: quinoa cooked in a pineapple juice-coconut milk combo, with shredded coconut mixed in.
Super easy to make, filling and light at the same time, and lots to do for little helping hands.
Love and enjoy this!
Pina Colada Quinoa
- 1 cup black quinoa
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 can pineapple chunks (unsweetened)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Drain the pineapple chunks, reserving up to 1 cup of the liquid. If liquid is less than 1 cup, top up with water.
- Bring pineapple liquid and coconut milk to a boil. Add quinoa and half of the shredded coconut (1/4 cup). Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, with lid on, for 25 minutes or until most liquid has been absorbed.
- Take quinoa off heat, let rest for about 10 minutes, until all liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Plate quinoa, top with pineapple chunks and remaining shredded coconut. Feast and enjoy!