We recently purchased a waffle iron and I have become obsessed – and Ilian even more so! If it comes in waffle form, he’ll eat it 😉
And with good reason for this one! It’s dinner in a fluffy, crunchy, wholesomely sweet package.
The secret ingredient here is aquafaba (for those who don’t know: the drained liquid from a can of legumes, e.g. chickpeas) which infuses the dough with a light, airy texture, and possibly adds to the well-defined outer crust. And carrots, rice milk, and spices like tarragon sweeten the deal 🙂
It’s quick to prepare, filling, and can be served with or without your favorite sauce.
(Note to dairy-eaters: Yogurt with chopped chives works wonderfully well!)
Be sure to eat, love, and rest enough this weekend!
Carrot Dinner Waffles
gluten free, egg free, dairy free
- 2 cups GF flour (no xanthan gum)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 7 carrots)
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup reduced aquafaba (boil the aquafaba until you have 50% of the original amount left)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, tarragon, and thyme in a bowl.
- Combine shredded carrots, rice milk, apple sauce, and oil in a separate bowl.
- In a third bowl, whip the aquafaba with a hand mixer on high for a minute, sprinkle cream of tartar on top, whip on high for an additional 4 minutes.
- Stir wet ingredients (except aquafaba) into dry ingredients. Then gently fold in aquafaba.
- Let the dough rest while the waffle iron heats up, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon 4 to 5 tablespoons of dough into the middle of your iron for each waffle. When iron is ready, check for crispness; if not crisp, bake an additional 15 seconds.
- Enjoy whole or in quarters, stacked or tumbled!