Thinking back to some of my go-to dishes “from before”, scalloped potatoes brought back yummy memories. I associate it with comfortable evenings, having leftovers for tomorrow, and a quick prep. But of course the cheesy sauce packs a lot of fat, garlic tends to be difficult for young stomach linings, and there is little in terms of healthy veggies.
So here’s a creamy, healthy, umami version of it – leeks give you a stomach-friendly allium taste, riced carrot bakes into a nice covering layer, and the potatoes are as filling as always.
Ilian is starting to really like cooking, yayy!! He asked what he could do today, and was patiently and diligently placing the potato slices in a layered way. The riced veggies were great fun to touch, smell, and eat – and felt sooo nice when sticking our hands in 😉
Wishing you an exciting week of cooking, especially if you have a little one (or big one!) by your side to share the adventure!
Vegan GF Scalloped Potatoes
- 5 Russet potatoes
- 1/2 leek
- 6 medium carrots
- 6 TBsp rice flour
- 1 TBsp canola oil
- 4 cups rice milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Trim and clean the leek, peel potatoes and carrots.
- Rice [see note below on how to] the carrots and leek, slice the potatoes very thinly, e.g. with a Mandolin slicer.
- In a medium pot, heat oil and 1/2 cup rice milk until hot. Whisk in rice flour. Add more rice milk in a slow stream while whisking constantly (to avoid clumps) until all the rice milk has been incorporated. Add spices. [This sauce will not thicken as many wheat flour/dairy milk sauces do.]
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with oil. Place half of the potatoes into the dish, letting them overlap. Add half the riced carrots and leek. Repeat: potatoes, riced veggies.
- Slowly pour sauce over the top.
- Bake at 350F for one hour, let rest for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Note on ricing:
1. Carrots: Use both the chopping blade (the one that cuts with two curved blades at the bottom of the processor’s bowl) and the shredding disk.
2. Leek(s): Use both the chopping blade and the slicing disk.