One thing you give up pretty quickly with multiple food allergies is ice cream. You can find dairy free and egg free versions, but we invariably see soy, coconut, almonds or something else on the label that makes the treat unsuitable for our house.
Luckily, pretty early on in our allergy-“career” another mom let me in on the secret of frozen bananas – you can use them to create a very decent allergen-free (well, unless bananas are a problem, which they were for Ilian for a while) frozen dessert base, and then mix in your favorite flavors. As I’ve always loved the combination of chocolate and citrus fruits, here’s my go-to version 🙂
Ilian was doing most of the pouring and couldn’t resist sampling: raw cocoa powder – not so good; frozen banana slices – tasty but the wrong texture; finished product mom is photographing – score!
Hoping our old haunts in Boston are recovering from the snow storm – stay warm!
Allergen-Free Chocolate Lime Ice Cream
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 lime
- 1 TBsp honey, or maple syrup for a vegan version
- 2 TBsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Peel and slice the bananas into thin rounds. Place in freezer until frozen solid, 2 hours or overnight.
- Zest the lime, juice half the lime. Set aside a few pinches of lime zest.
- Place frozen bananas, lime juice and zest (except the reserved pinches), honey (or maple syrup), cocoa powder, and vanilla extract (if using) into blender and blend until very smooth.
- Scoop into small serving bowls or ramekins, sprinkle with reserved lime zest. Serve and delight!