With a recent warm spell, all the snow and ice is on its way into the ground and we were happily jumping puddles yesterday. Ilian even asked for an extra walk through the neighborhood on the way to preschool to find more puddles. Which we did, while watching school buses, a busy excavator at a construction site, and the ever-fascinating garbage trucks on their rounds.
For dinner, we mashed together some sweet ice, fiery smoke, and soft sunshine – Lo Bok being much less pungent than the recently featured Daikon, eggplant steaks getting a makeover with smoked paprika, and spaghetti squash introducing us to something new.
The latter was included somewhat involuntarily: When shopping for groceries, Ilian just couldn’t resist poking his finger through the clingwrap covering a halved squash, and I’m happy he did! Its honeyed taste was amplified with the included fresh thyme and rosemary. Thanks, grocery store! 😉
This is quite a forgiving toddler recipe. Ilian’s favorite moment was pouring salt onto the eggplant slices, in heaps! As you can easily shake it off, just get a cheap can of Morton’s and let your toddler go to town 🙂
A very happy weekend to all!
Roasted Eggplant between Lo Bok and Spaghetti Squash
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 1/3 of a large Lo Bok radish
- 1/2 spaghetti squash
- 1 twig fresh rosemary
- 2 twigs fresh thyme
- 2 TBsp smoked paprika
- 1 TBsp cumin
- 4 TBsp salt
- 1/4 cup cooking oil, e.g. olive or canola
- Peel the eggplants in stripes from top to bottom. Cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Place eggplant slices on a rack, sprinkle liberally with salt. Flip over, sprinkle other side. Let sit 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, scoop seeds out of squash. Place fresh herb twigs into cavity. Place squash cut side down on a cookie sheet (optionally lined with parchment paper).
- Wash salt off eggplant slices thoroughly, pat dry. Coat with oil.
- Place slices on a cookie sheet (optionally lined with parchment paper). Sprinkle with smoked paprika and cumin.
- Bake squash and eggplant at 350F for 20 minutes. Flip eggplant slices, bake for another 15-20 minutes, until both veggies are completely softened.
- In the meantime, peel and shred the Lo Bok.
- Let spaghetti squash cool until comfortable to handle. Scoop out flesh with a fork, following the direction of the “spaghetti” threads.
- Plate the shredded Lo Bok first, place eggplant slices on top, finish with squash spaghetti. Enjoy!