As we’ve been out sick last week, I was thinking about what to share that really made us feel better. And instead of a food item I decided to blog about a very helpful onion poultice.
Both Ilian and Daddy had ear infections, and while they did both see a doctor about it, our good old-fashioned onion poultice home remedy helped keep them comfortable.
We have had success with applying an onion poultice to aching ears several times over the past years. The combination of warmth and anti-inflammatory plus anti-viral onion fumes has helped our ears remarkably well, to the point where we have not had to use medication (of course, we may just have been lucky with mild cases every time!).
The poultice is easy to prepare and can be reheated once or twice, and only leaves a faint smell.
Please note: This home remedy is NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A DOCTOR’S VISIT!! If you or your child experience symptoms of an ear infection, please see your doctor or pediatrician. Especially young children can have dangerous ear infections. This home remedy is not a cure. Plus, I am not a health care professional and this blog post is not intended to be medical advice.
Onion Poultice for Ear Infections
- 1/2 onion
- piece of cloth, ca 8×8 inches
- rubber band
- head band
- pot with lid
- Chop the onion into small pieces.
- Place chopped onion into center of cloth, fold up corners and secure with rubber band.
- Pour about 2 cups of water into a small pot, place lid on pot upside down.
- Place onion poultice on top of upside down lid.
- Bring water to a boil, heating up poultice. Check poultice’s temperature every now and then on the inside of your wrist. When poultice is as hot as possible while still comfortable to hold against skin for 15 seconds or longer, poultice is ready to use.
- Place poultice against infected ear and secure with head band. Wear for 10 minutes or more, until cool. Feel better!