Happy New Year!! May 2018 be a great one for all of us!
Here’s a quick and easy – and yummy! – toddler-cooking-friendly recipe to start us into the year with comfort food: Corn Bread.
It’s not easy to find a vegan, gluten-free version that is also free of coconut, but with some fiddling I found a version that is nicely textured and full of warm flavor. The latter is helped along greatly by my ever-favorite smoked paprika 🙂
We baked it yesterday and thus Ilian started the year with some kitchen fun: mixing the rice flour and apple juice (and yes, he got to drink a little cup of juice as well), whisking the dough, smelling the paprika, and then he was so very proud to carry the baking dish to the oven!
It’s a nice recipe for your toddler to help because nothing is boiling, no sharp knives are required, and all is safe to eat raw.
Vegan Gluten-Free Corn Bread
- 1 TBsp flax meal
- 2 1/2 TBsp water
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 TBsp honey or maple syrup
- Combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl, mix well, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine the rice flour and apple juice in a medium bowl, mix well, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornmeal, smoked paprika, baking powder, and salt in one bowl.
- Combine the canola oil and honey (or maple syrup) in a separate bowl.
- Mix the flax meal and rice flour-apple juice combinations into the oil and honey.
- Mix these wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir with a whisk until just combined.
- Coat an 8×8 inch baking dish with oil and dust with rice flour. Pour batter into dish and bake at 375F for 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in dish for at least 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!