I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving yesterday! For our still full bellies, here’s a dish that is light, nutritious, and requires little time in the kitchen: corn tacos filled with roasted banana squash and three bean salad.
This is a recipe I have wanted to share for a while, as it combines ingredients from the traditional Three Sisters planting method, and Thanksgiving of course brings to mind Native American food.
Corn stalks let the bean plants climb, and squash vines on the ground keep weeds and vermin at bay. And a combination of these three plants provides a good balance of carbs, fatty acids, and amino acids. Dig in!
The Jumbo Pink Banana Squash (with many thanks to Slow Farms 🙂 ) is one of America’s great heirloom squashes: it can grow to record-setting sizes and its flesh has a fluffy texture and light, sweet taste when roasted. Also, I find it very easy to prepare: The skin is thin enough for a potato peeler, the seed cavity is large enough and the flesh soft enough to carve out the seeds with little effort, and it roasts relatively fast.
Ilian played with the one I intended to cook a lot and wouldn’t give it up – luckily we had a second one! He liked draining the beans (aquafaba reserved for more baking), and sampled his way through the cucumber and all three sorts of beans. The heat-free salad was perfect toddler cooking!
The three bean salad can be prepared ahead of time as it keeps well for 2 or 3 days. It actually tastes better after a day, as the beans soak up the flavor.
Three Bean Salad and Jumbo Pink Banana Squash Tacos
- 1 small to medium jumbo pink banana squash
- one can (15oz) each of three kinds of beans, e.g. great northern or cannellini, pinto or garbanzo, kidney or black to keep the colors interesting; washed and drained
- 1/2 seedless/English cucumber, diced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 TBsp and 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried or 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- taco shells
- Remove top and bottom of the banana squash, peel, cut in half in middle (not lengthwise!), remove seeds. Cut into rings.
- Coat squash rings in oil, place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, season with 1 TBsp salt and thyme.
- Roast at 400F for 30 minutes, or until soft when pricked with a fork.
- Mix apple cider vinegar, oil, honey, rosemary, and 1 tsp salt in salad bowl. Add beans and cucumber, toss to coat.
- Fill taco shells with squash and bean salad. Enjoy!