As the days are getting darker and colder I was in the mood for a colorful dish with wintery warm goodness.
So, with our new batch of beluga lentils mixed with dried apricots and red cabbage together with sauteed mushrooms as a base, toppings of vivid sweet potatoes, pineapples, and arugula put a smile on all our faces last night 🙂
I like the earthy taste of beluga lentils and how they transform from greyish and drab into shimmering dark black when wet. Ilian could hardly keep his fingers out!
The dried apricots are an idea inspired by middle eastern cuisine where dried fruit is often added to one-pot grain dishes. Dried fruit adds a light sweetness that helps the palate bridge tastes from the more grounded grains to flashy toppings, like pineapple in this dish.
Pineapple is always great for toddlers to cut, as it can be done with a butter knife – even using the dull side of the blade!
There are quite a few ingredients on your plate here and preparation takes some time, but it’s easy to prepare parts of the dish ahead of dinner. You can prep the sweet potatoes, the lentil stew, and the sauteed mushrooms independently of each other, and basically only the mushrooms need to be done shortly before eating.
Enjoy the start of winter!
Beluga Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Pineapple
- For the lentil stew:
- 1 cup beluga lentils
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tsp salt
- a few juniper berries
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups water For the sauteed mushrooms:
- 1/2 lb mushrooms
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt For toppings:
- one batch baked sweet potato fries
- 1/2 pineapple, cubed
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Lentil stew: Combine all lentil stew ingredients in a medium sized pot, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium low and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until water is absorbed.
- Sauteed mushrooms: Heat oil in pan, add thyme and mushrooms, stir constantly for 2 minutes, add salt. Stirring occasionally, sautee for 5-10 minutes, until desired softness is reached.
- Plate the lentil stew first, add sweet potato fries and mushrooms, top with pineapple and arugula.