Halloween is a month away – time to prepare ;)! It’s still a long way off, but I’m starting to gather ideas for meals inspired by the spooky season. Colors play a big role, so what is better than combining some black beans, orange carrots, and green rice?
Green rice? Yes! It drew my eye when I spotted it in the grocery store, and it turns out to be sushi-style white rice with bamboo extract. It has a lovely light green color that will make appearances in spring (think flower-colored salads!), and that I deepened today with spirulina powder to get the Halloween effect. Ilian was intrigued!
The dish is perfect for kids and easy to prepare – great colors, a variety of textures, and natural yummy tastes. I season the rice and beans lightly with salt and add my favorite smoked paprika powder to the beans see a deep red crumbly coating on them.
Halloween Rice with Beans
- 1 cup Jade Pearl green rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Place the carrots in a steaming basket in a pot with about 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium low heat and cook until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Place rice and 1 1/2 cups water in a pot with tight-fitting lid, add 1/2 tsp salt and spirulina powder. Stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Take off heat, let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with fork.
- Place beans with oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and smoked paprika in a small pan, heat on medium low until beans are warm, about 5 minutes.
- Mix carrots and rice on a plate, top with black beans. Serve the Halloween guests!