More sweet fall cooking! It’s still pretty warm here in Michigan, so here’s a soup that we enjoy warm or cold.
Ilian loves helping with this one – scrubbing the potatoes, poking them with a fork, laying them out on a cookie sheet, plus feeling the different textures of our spices is a fun way to get to know food!
The preparation is pretty quick and is followed by the kitchen slowly filling with the sweet scent of baking sweet potatoes while we have an hour to play – inside or out in the yard!
I usually pre-cook some rice in the morning to top the soup, or if there’s no time rice cakes are a tasty choice, too!
Sweet Potato Soup
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1/2 chopped sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp sage
- cooked rice to top
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick them all over with a fork. Arrange on cookie sheet and bake in oven at 425F for one hour.
- While potatoes are baking, combine onion and garlic with spices and water to cover in a small pan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce to a simmer, cook until onions soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- When potatoes are done, let them cool until comfortable to handle. Scoop flesh out and combine in food processor with cooked onions.
- Puree until evenly mixed. Fill serving bowls, top with cooked rice if desired. Enjoy!